The Lawrence Campus is

Suicide threat

If it appears an individual may cause harm to himself or herself, call 911 immediately.


Available resources for students, faculty and staff include the following:

Crisis line: Headquarters provides a 24-hour telephone counseling service for individuals experiencing crisis and seeking counseling, support and/or referral for additional services. Call 785-841-2345. This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The LIFELINE Employee Assistance Program is a special service provided for state of Kansas benefits-eligible employees and their dependents at no charge. LIFELINE provides information, short-term counseling, advice and referrals from licensed professionals who understand the typical stresses we all face day in and day out.


Who is eligible to use the LIFELINE program?

  • The LIFELINE program is available to all active, benefits-eligible employees of the state of Kansas, their family members living in the same household or dependent children.
  • Nonstate employer group participants.
  • Retirees and COBRA participants are not eligible to participate.


Counseling and Psychological Services

Students who visit CAPS have a variety of interests and concerns. Many students seek help for psychological, interpersonal, family problems and other issues related to succeeding at the university. Individual, couple and group sessions are available. CAPS staff are also available for consultation to students who may have concerns about another student or friend or about a particular situation. CAPS staff members are also available to consult with faculty and staff regarding such issues.

How do I make an appointment?

Simply call 785-864-CAPS or come by the office. CAPS offices are fully accessible to people with disabilities.

Counseling and Psychological Services is open:

  • Monday, Thursday, Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

After-hours messages may be left on the CAPS answering machine. Messages will be answered the next business day. If you or someone you know needs service outside of CAPS hours, resources in the community include:

  • Lawrence Memorial Hospital — 785-749-6162
  • Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center — 785-843-9192
  • Headquarters Counseling Center — 785-841-2345

Student Conduct Review Team

The Student Conduct Review Team assists KU students, faculty and staff who have concerns about a specific student's behavior and don't know where to turn. The SCRT engages in activities designed to: educate the university community in the early detection and reporting of potentially dangerous behavior; assist in the assessment of reported disturbing student behavior, provide referrals to appropriate resources, provide consultation regarding behaviors of concern and address concerns for safety which are directly related to student behavior.

To contact the SCRT, please refer to the following methods:

Imminent danger cases

  • In cases involving the high likelihood of imminent danger, call 911 immediately.

All other cases

  • Please call 785-864-4060 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday and state that you have a matter for the SCRT.

Requests for presentations to faculty/staff

  • Please call 785-864-4060 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.

The Lawrence Campus is
Emergency numbers

Police or Fire/Medical: 911
Public Safety Office: (785) 864-5900
Watkins Health Services: (785) 864-9500
Institutional Opportunity & Access: (785) 864-6414

Urgent care is an injury or illness that is not life threatening but requires immediate care. Contact Watkins Health Services at Watkins Memorial Health Center for on-campus urgent care services.

Be prepared

Students should keep their emergency contact information up to date through Enroll and Pay.

Be aware of your surroundings. Locate emergency exits or shelters in buildings you work in or visit.

In the event of severe weather, rely on local media or a NOAA weather radio for forecasts, watches and warnings from the National Weather Service.

Related information

Lawrence Campus Interactive Map

Emergency Management Plan

Environment, Health, and Safety

Annual Security Report

Cyber Security Report 

The annual security report about KU safety policies, crime statistics, and campus resources is available online at, or on paper by contacting the Office of the Vice Provost of Student Affairs, 133 Strong Hall, (785) 864-4060.

Douglas County Emergency Management